Areas of Practice: Clinical Negligence, Personal Injury, Product Liability and Group Actions.
Year of Call: 2010
Education: Magdalen College, Oxford (MA, Philosophy, Politics & Economics)
Clare College, Cambridge (MPhil in Politics & Education Policy)
City University (GDL)
University of Law (BVC)
Memberships: APIL, AVMA, PIBA, London Welsh Lawyers, American Association for Justice, Global Justice Network.
Ever since completing a specialist pupillage with one of the country’s leading practitioners, Tom has maintained an extensive Clinical Negligence practice.
Tom acts for both Claimants and Defendants. His current caseload includes cases of severe birth injuries, avoidable strokes, delayed diagnoses of cancer, amputations, cauda equina syndrome, negligent bariatric surgery, misdiagnosed fractures and complex regional pain syndrome. Tom frequently appears at complex, multi-day inquests.
Representative matters include:
- C v Milton Keynes Hospital NHS Foundation Trust (Queen’s Bench Division): Ongoing claim on behalf of a 12 year old boy with cerebral palsy (spastic quadriplegia) born with nuchal cord.
- N v Cardiff & Vale University Heath Board (Cardiff District Registry): Fatal Accidents Act claim arising from a negligent failure to administer levothyroxine to a 93 year old woman with hypothyroidism leading to myxedema coma and death. Settled successfully on confidential terms. For more information click here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-east-wales-33722773
- O v Cardiff & Vale University Health Board (Swansea County Court): Delayed diagnosis of vestibular schwannoma leading to development of hydrocephalus following stereotactic radio surgery.
Maytum v Abertawe Bro Morgannwg University Health Board (Cardiff District Registry): Delayed diagnosis of breast cancer case. Settled on Day 4 of trial for confidential, six-figure sum. More information can be found here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-east-wales-30234175
- A v Brighton & Sussex University Hospitals NHS Trust (Queen’s Bench Division): Claim for damages on behalf of a Claimant rendered permanently faecally incontinent following negligent performance of fistula surgery.
- G v Dr Lilly and Ors (Queen’s Bench Division): Claim for failure by GPs to diagnose high blood pressure and administer hypertensive medication over a period of 13 years leading to stroke.
Tom’s Personal Injury practice is exclusively multi track and consists of acting for Claimants and Defendants in respect of serious and catastrophic injury work including brain injuries, spinal injuries, chronic pain conditions and serious psychiatric disorders. He has extensive experience of road traffic, public liability and occupiers’ liability actions.
Tom has a particular specialism in respect of accidents abroad. He is currently instructed in numerous cases raising complex issues of jurisdiction and choice of law. Tom has expertise in claims under the Package Travel Regulations, the Montreal Convention and the Athens Convention.
Tom’s ongoing and settled cases include:
- £1.25m settlement in an amputation case following an agricultural accident.
- £850k settlement on behalf of a Claimant suffering from serious psychiatric injuries after a road traffic accident.
- £750k occupiers’ liability claim (liability disputed) following attendance at a major public event.
- Richardson v Newmarket & Ors (Carlisle County Court): Instructed on behalf of the Defendant arising from a fatal accident in civil proceedings arising from a death during an emergency rescue at sea. More information can be found here: http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/janet-richardson-north-sea-fall-2372268
- Re D & W v Insurance Commission of Western Australia: Claim for damages following catastrophic injuries to two British Citizens following a Road Traffic Accident in Perth, WA.
PRODUCT LIABILITY/GROUP ACTIONS
Tom undertakes a significant and growing amount of Product Liability work. He is instructed in cases in high profile, group actions as well as individual claims. Tom is happy to work with solicitors, on a CFA/DBA basis, from the very beginning in Product Liability litigation. He is always on the look out for new areas of potential litigation and attends bi-annual conferences in the United States, organised by the American Association of Justice, where the latest trends in American group litigation are discussed.
Tom’s ongoing and settled cases include:
- The Volkswagen NOx Emissions Fraud Litigation
- 56 Dean Street Data Leak Litigation
- D’Mello Group Litigation
- The PIP Breast Implant Group Litigation
- Metal on Metal Hip Litigation
- Cases arising from use of the Cervarix Vaccine
- Individual Product Liability cases relating to defective contact lenses, bikes, suntan creams and dehumidifiers.
- Personal Injury/Accidents Abroad