Ana specialises in Clinical Negligence, Personal Injury and Inquest Work (both freestanding and those linked to clinical negligence and personal injury claims).
In addition Ana undertakes Employment Law work, in particular cases linked to the health care industry.
Year of call: 2004 Appointments: Assistant Coroner to Birmingham and Solihull Memberships: PIBA, Coroners’ Society of England and Wales Publications: 1) Clinical Risk: ‘Habeas Corpus? Body or Evidence?’ 2) Clinical Risk: ‘She should have died hereafter.’
Other Qualifications: Mediator
Ana is willing and able to provide testimonials and, if required, is more than happy to provide in house training. She also writes articles and presents seminars on behalf of Pro-vide, who deliver quality case notes, articles, training and events to the legal community.
Ana frequently represents both Claimants and Defendants (NHSRes (formerly NHSLA) and private individuals) in clinical negligence actions undertaking advisory, drafting and advocacy work. Further Ana provides representation at Mediation.
Ana deals with all nature of hearings from interlocutory matters through to JSM and final hearing.
The majority of her caseload is high value and falls within the multi-track. She has handled cases in excess of £1.2 million and has appeared against specialist Silks.
Whilst Ana has undertaken many different types of cases covering most medical disciplines examples of cases undertaken include:
- Brain injury cases;
- Cauda Equina;
- Cerebral palsy and other infant injuries;
- Tears during childbirth;
- Disruption to the pelvic girdle following childbirth;
- Development of Compartment syndrome following childbirth;
- Ophthalmic/Ophthalmology related claims;
- Failure to diagnose heart failure;
- Failure to refer a patient under the NICE cancer guidelines;
- Failure to provide nutritional advice following a gastric bypass;
- Failure to consent in many different contexts;
- Overdose of medication;
- Failure to section under the mental health act;
- Negligent decompression surgery;
- Negligent Hip replacement;
- Delay and/or failure to diagnose;
- Surgical negligence in a wide range of clinical specialisms;
- Dental negligence;
- Cosmetic surgery;
- GP negligence;
- Failure to advise patient of alternative less invasive options;
- Failure to provide antibiotics resulting in fatal sepsis;
- Fatal accidents claims based on clinical negligence actions.
- Whilst Ana is more than competent to act on large value claims she is also willing to be led on more complex high value cases and has had past experience of being involved in led cases.
Ana is regularly instructed in multi-track matters in the following areas:
- Road traffic accidents;
- Occupiers’ Liability;
- Public Liability;
- Employers’ Liability including assault cases;
- Fatal accident claims.
- In addition to case management, interlocutory hearings, advisory and trial work, Ana frequently undertakes applications involving all aspects of civil procedure including expert evidence, disclosure, strike out, limitation, resiling from admissions, summary judgment, setting aside default judgments, cost CMCs and cost arguments.
- Ana regularly deals with high value claims acting on behalf of both Claimants and Defendants.
Ana has a wealth of experience dealing with NHRes employers’ liability cases.
Ana regularly represents various interested parties in the Coroners Court, including but not limited to the family, care homes and NHS Trusts.
Given her experience in Clinical Negligence and Personal Injury, a large proportion of inquests undertaken have a civil claim pending, for which she continues to have conduct of post inquest.
Due to her experience working as an Assistant Coroner for Birmingham and Solihull, Ana is also able and willing to deal with freestanding inquests where no civil claim is contemplated.
Ana deals with both Jamieson and Middleton (Article 2) inquests as well as those involving a Jury and is able to provide written advice in addition to representation at hearings.
Clients have found it invaluable having an advocate who has first hand experience as a Coroner of running a coronial investigation from initial referral through to inquest.
Ana has appeared for national companies, local authorities, the police, private and public companies, sole traders, trade unions and individual claimants in various Tribunals across the country.
Her experience includes all types of discrimination, breach of contract, unlawful deductions from wages, redundancy, TUPE and unfair / constructive / wrongful dismissal.
Ana covers all types of hearing including strike out / deposit applications, case management discussions, interim relief, pre-hearing reviews, final hearings and remedy hearings.
In addition to advocacy Ana provides written opinions and advice in conference.
Ana has been involved in a number of group actions, including the case of Clearsprings Management Limited, and multi-week final hearings.
Given the growing trend for alternative dispute resolution, particularly in the Clinical Negligence forum, Ana is a fully qualified mediator wiling to undertake Evaluative Mediation in the fields of Clinical Negligence, Personal Injury and Employment Law and Facilitative Mediation in all areas of dispute. For more information please see our dedicated website.
Ana is a founding member of Complete Counsel, Complete Mediation and Pro-Vide and is committed to making the Bar and provision of services current and innovative.
“I met Ana at an Inquest hearing approximately 18 months ago she was representing a GP. I was extremely impressed with her knowledge, professionalism and the assurance she gave to her client throughout the hearing. As a result I have employed Ana on numerous occasions since to represent this Trust. She is down to earth and has a sensible, approachable way which very reassuring to anxious witnesses.”